For some reason SharePoint 2013 doesn’t include the Navigate Up function previously available to SharePoint 2010. This function is important when navigating up a site hierarchy. To get it back you must open SharePoint Designer 2013.
1. Click on Master Pages and create a copy of the seattle.master (the new default master page).
2. Right click on the seattle_copy(1).master and select Open. Search for:
class=”ms-breadcrumb-dropdownBox” – it should be on line 369.
3. Delete the style=”display:none;” at the end of the line.
4.Delete the Visible=”false” a couple of lines underneath.
5. Save the seattle_copy(1).master.
6. On the Master Pages list, right-click on the seattle_copy(1).master and select Set as Default Master Page.
7. Check that the seattle_copy(1).master is applied to the site collection as the default Site Master Page by clicking on Master Page (under Look and Feel) in Site Settings.
8. Refresh the sub-site to see the Navigate Up icon to the left of the global navigation menus.